Welcome to Green Beauty Conversations, the podcast that challenges you to think about how you buy, use, make and sell your natural beauty formulations. We tackle topics that will make you think and encourage debate about green beauty with your friends, followers or customers.
In today’s In Conversation with Formula Botanica podcast episode, we are talking carbon neutral beauty and the environmental impacts of the beauty industry. This is a big topic, but with the rise of conscious consumerism it’s one that we need to be talking about as brands and as consumers. We ask: Can a Beauty Brand ever be Carbon Neutral?
Sustainability is a really key topic for many indie beauty brands, but how easy is it to be truly sustainable and what steps do brands need to take? In this podcast we answer the burning questions our community had on the topic of carbon neutral beauty and sustainability.
Carbon Neutral Beauty vs Beauty Miles
Carbon footprint is one aspect of overall sustainability. In our previous podcast episode we tackled the topic of Beauty Miles, which feeds in to the topic of carbon neutral beauty and covers how far your ingredients and finished product travel and how to calculate that environmental impact.
Read more – Episode 48: Do you know your Beauty Miles?
Listen on iTunes Listen on Stitcher Listen on YouTubeListen on Spotify
In this Podcast you will:
- Learn how carbon output for beauty products impacts their sustainability.
- Understand different ways that we can reduce or offset carbon emissions.
- Be challenged to think about some of the different ways you could tackle your carbon emissions if you run a beauty business.
Key Takeaways Include:
- Brands often rely on offsetting carbon rather than reducing their carbon output. We believe both of these measures have an important role to play in reducing environmental impact.
- Brands of any size can take measures to assess and reduce their carbon footprints and aim for carbon neutrality.
- In the age of conscious consumerism, customers are keen to hear from brands about what they are doing to reduce their environmental impact.
What do you think? Is it feasible for indie brands to be carbon neutral? How can smaller beauty brands stay ahead of the big players, who are now setting big sustainability targets and publicly declaring them? Can indie brands lead the whole beauty industry in terms of sustainability or is this too big a burden for small businesses?
Whatever your views on this controversial topic, I want you to join the debate and leave us a comment on our social channels. The Formula Botanica team and I love hearing from you, so come and tell us your views.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of the Formula Botanica: Green Beauty Conversations podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe and review on iTunes, Spotify or Stitcher so that more people can enjoy the show. Don’t forget to follow and connect with us on: Facebook. Twitter; and on Instagram.
Leave us a comment
Lorraine Dallmeier is a Biologist, Chartered Environmentalist and the CEO of Formula Botanica, the award-winning online organic cosmetic science school. Read more about Lorraine and the Formula Botanica Team.