For organic cosmetic formulators, Robert Tisserand’s seminal work on essential oil safety is a staple resource and one we recommend to students on our organic cosmetic formulation courses. At Formula Botanica, we have come to know Robert well over the years and he was a keynote speaker at our 2018 Conference in London.
Robert is one of the world’s leading experts in aromatherapy with over 40 years of experience. He is a speaker, educator, author, and consultant on the science and benefits of essential oils and their safe and effective application. His research topics range from the therapeutic foundations of essential oils to the examination of essential oils and the skin, as well as dispelling myths and untruths about essential oils in use.
Ever the pioneer in his field, in 1977 Robert wrote one of the first books to bring awareness of aromatherapy to the beauty industry: ‘The Art of Aromatherapy’. He co-authored ‘Essential Oil Safety (2nd Edition, 2014)‘, a book that sets industry standards for the safe use of essential oils.
Today, with more controversy than ever circulating about essentials oils, Robert Tisserand and his work is a sound starting point for the natural cosmetic formulator wishing to find balanced, science-backed research and opinion on the use of essential oils in cosmetics.
Listen to our latest podcast with Robert Tisserand to learn all about essential oil safety:Subscribe on iTunes Subscribe on Spotify Subscribe on YouTube
In this podcast you will learn:
- Why essential oil safety is an issue and why he decided to write his book ‘Essential Oil Safety’ back in 1995.
- Some of the issues with the EU guidelines and what the current research on essential oils shows in terms of allergens in citrus oils and why his safety guidance differs.
- Some examples of why safety guidelines are necessary and why essential oil safety is still such an important topic and worthy of our attention.
- The benefits of using essential oils in cosmetic formulation.
- Get Robert’s opinion on the recent lavender and tea tree oil controversy where recent research suggested that both oils were hormone disruptors.
- Why you should research essential oils carefully when using them in skincare or haircare formulations and why some research can be considered scare-mongering.
- Why legislation continues to be a challenge, why it is likely that it will increase in the coming years and how this relates to safety.
To help people make informed decisions about essential oil usage, The Tisserand Institute regularly offers certified Essential Oil Safety Masterclasses with Robert Tisserand.
You can find out more about Robert and The Tisserand Institute by following the links below:
- Tisserand Institute website
- Tisserand Institute on Facebook
- Tisserand Institute on Instagram
- Tisserand Institute on Twitter
We hope you enjoyed hearing Robert talk about essential oil safety and what it means to him. As usual if you have any feedback or suggestions for us please don’t hesitate to get in contact.
Please share, subscribe and review on iTunes
Thank you for joining us for this episode of the Formula Botanica: Green Beauty Conversations podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe and review on iTunes or Stitcher so that more people can enjoy the show. Don’t forget to follow and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Leave us a comment
Gemma Ortega Perez was Formula Botanica’s Relationship Manager between 2015 – 2019. To read more about the Formula Botanica team, visit our staff page.