You’ve probably heard of food miles, but have you ever heard of beauty miles?
Food miles measure the distance that your food travels before it reaches your plate, while beauty miles measure the distance that our beauty products are transported from the time of harvesting, to processing, to manufacturing, to retail until that lotion finally ends up on your bathroom shelf.
Similar to food miles, beauty miles are one factor that we can potentially use when testing and measuring the environmental impact of our beauty formulations. But are they the right tool to use when determining the sustainability of our formulations?
For this podcast episode, the Formula Botanica team reached out to our community, to ask their burning questions on this topic and they were answered by Chartered Environmentalist and Formula Botanica CEO Lorraine Dallmeier.What are Beauty Miles and are they a good measure of sustainability? #sustainablebeauty #greenbeauty #cleanbeauty Click To Tweet
In this Podcast you will:
- Hear the Formula Botanica team discuss beauty miles and answer key questions on this topic.
- Learn some key questions that we should be asking as formulators and consumers about the cosmetic ingredients we use and their environmental impact.
Key takeaways include:
- Knowing your supply chain and asking key questions is essential for formulators who want to calculate the overall carbon footprint of their formulations.
- Every formulator should be thinking about the carbon footprint of not only their ingredients but also their entire operation as a business.
- We expect to see more brands make claims about the carbon emissions of their products in the future, including claims for carbon neutral products achieved by carbon offsetting.
- Conscious consumerism is on the rise and customers are more interested than ever in all aspects of sustainability. We address this topic on Episode 45 of the podcast.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of the Formula Botanica: Green Beauty Conversations podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, please share, subscribe and review on iTunes, Spotify or Stitcher so that more people can enjoy the show.
Leave us a comment
Lorraine Dallmeier is a Biologist, Chartered Environmentalist and the CEO of Formula Botanica, the award-winning online organic cosmetic science school. Read more about Lorraine and the Formula Botanica Team.