Retail shelves are full of haircare products aimed at repairing our hair. Too dry, too greasy, dandruff, split ends, issues with frizz, more curl or less curl required, shine and gloss needed? Every product promises hair nirvana to encourage us to buy. But, if we’re honest, many products may not work or work as described.
So, when podcast host and Formula Botanica CEO Lorraine Dallmeier received a press release from a new haircare brand saying its products were formulated to combat the effects of climate change on our hair, she was sceptical, but also curious to find out more. The brand, Climaplex, has serious credentials. Its co-founders are industry veterans with several decades of experience in the consumer and professional haircare and cosmetics manufacturing industries. They had invested in clinical development and trials run by a leading EU university to prove the climate change-haircare link, and the efficacy of their products.
In this episode, Lorraine talks to guests Simon Ostler, a renowned hairdresser, haircare brand pioneer and former industry executive, and Giannantonio Negretti, head of a leading international cosmetics manufacturing group, to hear firsthand how this new category of climate change cosmetics came into being. And, importantly, how Climaplex is committed to resolving our climate-change-created hair and scalp issues honestly, holistically and sustainably.Subscribe on iTunes Subscribe on Spotify Subscribe on YouTube Can you formulate cosmetics for climate change? @FormulaBotanica podcast talks to new haircare brand @Climaplex about helping repair hair in a harsh climate. #naturalhaircare #haircarebrand #formulatehaircare Click To Tweet
In this episode on Climaplex, you will hear about:
- How we are now seeing a new level of aggressors damaging our hair and scalp, ranging from excessively chlorinated water to acid rain and increased UV radiation. These have given rise to hair and scalp issues such as porosity, discoloration, pollutant build-up, scalp irritation, excessive dryness and hair loss.
- With career backgrounds in cosmetics manufacturing and professional salon and retail haircare industries, the founders were able to learn firsthand from hairdressers, whose work brings them into daily contact with every hair type and issue. This data was invaluable in scoping out the issues.
- To understand the possible connection between the hair and scalp damage being witnessed daily in salons and the effects of climate on hair, Climaplex founders sought the R&D help of a team of university scientists. Their work triangulated the anecdotal evidence of salon professionals with the theory of climate change having an effect on hair and scalp health; this was a huge first step in formulating product solutions.
- While numerous retail products were addressing individual issues, such as excessive dryness of hair or the cleansing of residual build-up on hairshafts, Climaplex’s unique approach, scientifically-tested products and focus on addressing the damage induced by climate change have given rise to a totally new category in haircare cosmetics.
Key takeouts include:
- What singles Climaplex out from other haircare and cosmetics brands is its belief in treating the educated consumer with respect. The brand acknowledges the power of consumers in our digital age and wanted to prove the science behind its solutions first. Giannantonio Negretti calls this “humanistic cosmetics,” which places the holistic well-being of the consumer at the core of beauty R&D.
- Climaplex has a four-step route to hair and scalp care with its nine-product range designed to work on the internal and external aspects of hair. The steps are: cleansing to remove pollutants; soothing and calming of the scalp; curl formation or hair straightening; and, as a final step, products to create a “shield” or barrier on the hair to protect it from issues like excessive heat, UV damage and humidity.
- The brand, now one year old, has grown on the strength of its proven claims, consumer and professional salon feedback and results. It is not in the business of using paid-for influencers, preferring instead to have genuine endorsements from its consumers, whether celebrity or retail consumers.
- Climaplex is committed to not “producing more bottles” without a clear justification. Its ethos is to be led by consumers’ needs – bottom up – and not produce products for their own sake to burden the planet further.
Meet our guests
Giannantonio Negretti, an Italian entrepreneur, is the founder of Beauticon Valley Holding, an Italian organisation that produces among the most innovative and high-quality cosmetic products for international sale in over 130 countries. Giannantonio has been at the helm of the group for over 30 years, promoting progress in the world of beauty through scientific development. The business manages multiple manufacturing plants that have created millions of products used by beauty shoppers globally. He is also the author of the book “Humanistic Cosmetics”, in which he sets forward his philosophy on needing to place humanity at the centre of beauty.
Simon Ostler is the founder of Climaplex™ project and an industry veteran with 40 years of experience. He started his career as a stylist for the world-renowned hairdressing group, Toni & Guy. Simon became a multi-salon owner and moved into the commercial world of hair. He quickly became a senior executive at L’Oreal Professional before becoming the European CEO for the iconic brand Bedhead, and then the European Head of Schwarzkopf Professional.
Find Simon at: Climaplex™ project.Thank you for joining us for this episode of the Formula Botanica Green Beauty Conversations podcast. If you enjoyed listening, please share, subscribe and review this episode on iTunes, Spotify or Youtube so that more people can enjoy the show. Don’t forget to follow and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Leave us a comment
Lorraine Dallmeier is a Biologist, Chartered Environmentalist and the CEO of Formula Botanica, the award-winning online organic cosmetic science school. Read more about Lorraine and the Formula Botanica Team.