Job posted on: 1st of August 2019
Welcome to Formula Botanica
Formula Botanica is the world’s leading organic cosmetic science school. Founded in 2012, we have grown to a global multinational teaching institution, training many thousands of cosmetic formulators through our award-winning online courses. Accredited by the UK’s Open & Distance Learning Quality Council, we teach through our core values of quality, integrity and sustainability.
Our goal is to teach our students how to formulate safe, stable and sellable botanical cosmetics. Our courses bring together the concepts of plant power and wellbeing, by combining botanical extracts and green chemistry to create skin- and haircare that makes us feel happy and healthy.
Formula Botanica’s team is located all around the world. We work from home and have a virtual office environment where the team works closely together. We are now looking to expand our team and have an opening for a Formulation Tutor.
About the Role
Formula Botanica’s Tutors have a key role in supporting our students learning by leading live teaching webinars, answering questions and supporting our students in our online forums and grading assignments.
With demonstrable skills in and a passion for organic skincare formulation you will work closely with the Education Manager and the Head of Research & Formulation to ensure that our students have the best possible learning experience whilst they study with Formula Botanica.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Grade assignments with the use of appropriate teaching, learning and assessment methods and do so within Formula Botanica’s set guidelines
- Grade and assess assignments and provide constructive feedback to students while being aware of and sensitive to any disability, equality or cultural differences
- Challenge thinking and improve students’ formulation work
- Provide answers to questions in the “Ask the Tutor’ forums within each course on the days assigned to them
- Take part in live tutor chats, live tutor webinars, live face-to-face events and Formula Botanica’s live annual student conference
- Be an active member of the Education department and contribute to making Formula Botanica an outstanding establishment for student support and student engagement in activities
- Take part in regular Education department ingredient investigation / R&D to improve the overall quality of teaching materials at Formula Botanica
- Create educational content for Formula Botanica’s marketing channels, including social media
- Attend regular online team meetings
- Ensure that all student contacts are dealt with in a pleasant confident manner, in line with agreed processes, taking ownership to ensure effective resolution
Our Tutors will be capable of playing an active and visible role in the School’s online forums and at internal and external conferences. Skills and experience required are:
- 2 years’ minimum organic cosmetic formulation experience, preferably in both skincare and haircare formulation
- Experience of having taken a Formula Botanica course, as we need you to understand our systems and philosophy in organic cosmetic formulation
- Patience, a supportive manner and the genuine drive to help educate our students.
- The ability to write motivational and constructive feedback for students, as well as answer technical questions in a logical, structured manner
- Experience with dealing with enquiries from people all over the world and the ability to deal with questions and queries in a culturally sensitive manner
- Be comfortable in being visible, including being in-front of a webcam or camera
- Confidence in using IT systems. We need you to have a good understanding of using eLearning tools. Our eLearning platform is hosted on Moodle, so we would prefer the ideal candidate to have some experience of working with Moodle.
- A good understanding of how to work remotely and as part of a team. Working remotely requires strict self-discipline and excellent communication skills, which we expect from all of our team members
- Be self-motivated and be able to work flexibly as part of a dynamic global team
- Be available for education team meetings (these are usually held remotely via Zoom)
- Excellent organisational skills and be a motivated self-starter
- Applicants should be fluent in English and should be able to pick up cultural language nuances and sensitivities
Location, Contract & Remuneration
This is a home-based position on a full-time employment contract, where the right individual will need to access Formula Botanica’s systems from home. We will train you to understand all of our systems and processes. We are looking for applicants in the UK only. You must be able to travel within the UK as we host face-to-face team meetings and also expect you to work at our live events.
This is a full-time contract (37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday). Occasional weekend work will be required during our 4-5 annual enrolment periods.
We offer the following employment package for the right candidate:
- £20,000 – 25,000 p.a.
- 25 days holiday pay
- Pension contribution
- A generous monthly home working allowance, to cover your computer and office requirements
Please note: we are looking for people who are as passionate about education and green beauty as we are, who are looking to build long term, collaborative and fulfilling relationships with our staff and students. If you are looking for a short term position to supplement your existing work then this is not the place for you.
Formula Botanica continues to grow and expand and the ideal candidate will be one who is on the look out for opportunities to expand their role and knowledge within an innovative environment.
How to ApplyApply now
Please note that we will only respond to successful applicants. If you have not heard from us within 2-3 weeks of applying for the position, you will not be in consideration for the position. Due to the large number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond individually to each application.